Gifts Policy: We don’t accept referral fees, commissions or gifts of free products or treatments from vendors or medical practitioners. Why? Because research has shown that even a gift as small as a pen can influence a doctor to prescribe in a way that favors the gift giver. We’re not doctors – but our priority is to provide clear and unbiased information to help people whose lives have been impacted by Lyme disease – so we are following this “no gifts” policy. We do accept financial contributions from individuals and organizations in support of Lyme Nation’s mission and work.
Financial Information: Lyme Nation is a 501(c)3 organization registered in the state of Delaware, and operating in New York state. All contributions are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law. Our tax identification number is 47-1381354. We received 501(c)3 status in February of 2015.
In 2015, contributions to Lyme Nation totaled $13,288. Because this amount was under $25,000, we filed form 990-N (e-Postcard) Summary attached here: Lyme Nation 990 2015.
1. What Information Does the Site Collect?
(a) Information You Provide to Us
Personal Information. We may ask you to provide us with your personally identifiable information, which is information that identifies you personally, such as your first and last name, telephone number and e-mail address (“Personal Information”). We may collect this Personal Information through various forms and in various places on the Site, including account registration forms, contact us forms, or when you otherwise interact with the Site.
(b) Information Collected or Stored As You Access and Use the Site In addition to any Personal Information or other information that you choose to submit to us via our Site, we and our third-party service providers may use a variety of technologies that automatically (or passively) store or collect certain information whenever you visit or interact with the Site (“Usage Information”). This Usage Information may be stored or accessed using a variety of technologies that may be downloaded to your personal computer, browser, laptop, tablet, mobile phone or other device (a “Device”) whenever you visit or interact with our Site. To the extent we associate Usage Information with your Personal Information we collect directly from you on the Site, we will treat it as Personal Information. This Usage Information may include:
- your IP address, UDID or other unique identifier (“Device Identifier”). A Device Identifier is a number that is automatically assigned to your Device used to access the Site, and our computers identify your Device by its Device Identifier;
- your Device functionality (including browser, operating system, hardware, mobile network information);
- the URL that referred you to our Site;
- the areas within our Site that you visit and your activities there, including remembering you and your preferences;
- your Device location;
- your Device characteristics; and
- certain other Device data, including the time of day, among other information.
Tracking Technologies. We may use various methods and technologies to store or collect Usage Information (“Tracking Technologies”). Tracking Technologies may set, change, alter or modify settings or configurations on your Device. A few of the Tracking Technologies include, without limitation, the following (and subsequent technology and methods later developed):
- Cookies. A cookie is a data file placed on a Device when it is used to visit the Web Site. A Flash cookie (or locally shared object) is a data file placed on a Device via the Adobe Flash plug-in that may be built-in to or downloaded by you to your Device. HTML5 cookies can be programmed through HTML5 local storage.
- Web Beacons. Small graphic images or other web programming code called web beacons (also known as “1×1 GIFs” or “clear GIFs”) may be included in our Site’s pages and messages. Web beacons may be invisible to you, but any electronic image or other web programming code inserted into a page or e-mail can act as a web beacon. Web beacons or similar technologies may be used for a number of purposes, including, without limitation, to count visitors to the Site, to monitor how users navigate the Site, to count how many e-mails that were sent were actually opened or to count how many particular articles or links were actually viewed.
- Embedded Scripts. An embedded script is programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the Site, such as the links you click on. The code is temporarily downloaded onto your Device from our web server or a third-party service provider, is active only while you are connected to the Site, and is deactivated or deleted thereafter.
- Browser Fingerprinting. Collection and analysis of information from your Device, such as, without limitation, your operating system, plug-ins, system fonts and other data, for purposes of identification.
- ETag, or Entity Tag. A feature of the cache in browsers. It is an opaque identifier assigned by a web server to a specific version of a resource found at a URL. If the resource content at that URL ever changes, a new and different ETag is assigned. Used in this manner ETags are a form of Device Identifier. ETag tracking may generate unique tracking values even where the consumer blocks HTTP, Flash, and/or HTML5 cookies.
- Recognition Technologies. Technologies, including application of statistical probability to data sets, which attempt to recognize or make assumptions about users and devices (e.g., that a user of multiple devices in the same user).
Tracking Technologies Usage. We may use Tracking Technologies for a variety of purposes, including:
- Targeting‑Related. We may use Tracking Technologies to deliver content relevant to your interests on our Site and third‑party sites based on how you interact with our content. This includes using Tracking Technologies to understand the usefulness to you of the content that has been delivered to you.
2. How Do We Use the Information Collected?
Contact Us. Please note that information submitted to the Site via a “contact us” or other similar customer inquiry function may not receive a response. We will not use the information provided by you in a customer inquiry communication to contact you for marketing purposes unrelated to your request unless you agree otherwise.
3. How and When Do We Share Information with Third Parties?
(a) When You Request Information From or Provide Information to Third Parties. You may be presented with an option on our Site to receive certain information and/or marketing offers directly from third parties or to have us send certain information to third parties or give them access to it. If you choose to do so, your Personal Information and other information may be disclosed to such third parties and all information you disclose will be subject to the third-party privacy policies and practices of such third parties.
(b) Third Parties Providing Sites on Our Behalf. We may use third-party vendors to perform certain services on behalf of us or the Site, such as hosting the Site, designing and/or operating the Site’s features, tracking the Site’s activities and analytics, and enabling us to send you special offers or perform other administrative services. We may provide these vendors with access to user information, including Device Identifiers and Personal Information, to carry out the services they are performing for you or for us. Third-party analytics and other service providers may set and access their own Tracking Technologies on your Device and they may otherwise collect or have access to information about you, potentially including Personal Information, about you. We are not responsible for those third party technologies or activities arising out of them, nor are we responsible for the effectiveness of or compliance with any third parties’ opt-out options.
(d) Affiliates and Business Transfer. We may share your Personal Information with our parent, subsidiaries and affiliates. We also reserve the right to disclose and transfer all such information: (i) to a subsequent owner, co-owner or operator of the Site or applicable database; or (ii) in connection with a merger, consolidation, restructuring, the sale of substantially all of our interests and/or assets or other corporate change, including, during the course of any due diligence process.
4. What About Information I Disclose Publicly or to Others?
(a) User-Generated Content and Public Information. The Service may permit you to submit ideas, photographs, user profiles, writings, music, video, audio recordings, computer graphics, pictures, data, questions, comments, suggestions or other content, including Personal Information (collectively, “User Content”), particularly as part of your profile. We or others may store, display, reproduce, publish, distribute or otherwise use User Content online or offline in any media or format (currently existing or hereafter developed) and may or may not attribute it to you. Others may have access to this User Content and may have the ability to share it with third parties. Please think carefully before deciding what information you share, including Personal Information, in connection with your User Content. Please note that Lyme Nation does not control who will have access to the information that you choose to make public, and cannot ensure that parties who have access to such publicly available information will respect your privacy or keep it secure. We are not responsible for the privacy or security of any information that you make publicly available on the Service or what others do with information you share with them on the Service. We are not responsible for the accuracy, use or misuse of any User Content that you disclose or receive from third parties through the Service.
5. Does Third-Party Content or Links To Third-Party Sites Appear on the Site?
The Site may contain content that is supplied by a third party, and those third parties may collect Usage Information and your Device Identifier when pages from the Site are served to you. In addition, when you are on the Site you may be directed to other services that are operated and controlled by third parties that we do not control. We are not responsible for the data collection and privacy practices employed by any of these third parties or their services and they may be tracking you across multiple sites and may be sharing the results of that tracking with us and/or others. For example, if you “click” on a link, the “click” may take you off the Site onto a different site. These other sites may associate their Tracking Technologies with you, independently collect data about you, including Personal Information, and may or may not have their own published privacy policies. We encourage you to note when you leave our Site and to review the third-party privacy policies of all third-party websites and exercise caution in connection with them.
6. How Do I Change My Information and Communications Preferences?
7. What About Transfer of Information to the United States?
8. What Should Parents Know About Children?
We understand the importance of protecting children’s privacy in the interactive world. We do not use the Site to knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of thirteen (13) that requires parental notice and consent under the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) without such parental consent.
In the event that we become aware that we have collected personal information from any child, we will dispose of that information in accordance with COPPA and other applicable laws and regulations. If you are a parent or guardian and you believe that your child under the age of 13 has provided us with personal information without COPPA-required consent, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. What About Security?
We endeavor to incorporate commercially reasonable safeguards to help protect and secure your Personal Information. However, no data transmission over the Internet, mobile networks, wireless transmission or electronic storage of information can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Please note that we cannot ensure the security of any information you transmit to us, and you use our Site and provide us with your information at your own risk.